It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1978 Plymouth Trail Duster Sport SE 4x4, Barn find!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:29 pm 

I thought I would drop in and post a few pictures of my recent find. Thru craigslist I found this 1978 Plymouth Trail Duster Sport SE that had sat in storage since 1983 or 84. I was able to track down the original owner after some searching. He had sold it to a local Toyota dealer as a trade in. The dealer did not know what it was and put it on craigslist right away. I saw the add the day they were going to put it on Ebay. I worked a deal and had it transported to my home in Calif. It was coming from Ohio. The truck is in amazing original condition with just about every option. It now has 55,000 miles. Belive it or not I still have the original cooler inside the storage consol. It is not broke and has the lid. It even has a mopar part number and pentastar insignia. It is poly red sunfire metalic color with the red interior high back seats with rear seat. The seats are perfect and no rips. The radio has the CB function and I have the mic. as well. It has the 440 motor and no smog stuff I guess because it was made for the Michigan market? It is considered a heavy duty based on the 6100 lb GVW. I spoke to the original owner and he told me he and his brother went to the Westborne Dearborne dealer who got the truck from the Mopar assembly line as a no-start truck. It was fixed (he said it was a carb issue- it has the thermoquad) and it was sold at that dealer as part of there no-start program his brother had heard about. He paid $9600.00 back in 78. wow!! I love this truck and I had a 1977 Plymouth T.D. as my first car. I finally found a set of 4 wide sport style wheels and had them powder coated. I will put them on when I get a good tire that looks like O.E. 10-15 goodyear. The truck came with 5.5" steel rims and H78 bias ply's and wheel covers based on the door sticker. However the spare is the wide sport style with original radial thin white wall tire. The original owner said he never changed or touched the spare. Weird... The truck still has all of the original belts & hoses with mopar symbols and part numbers. Runs like a champ and passes Calif. smog with great numbers. Has the 3.55 gears set and posi rear diff. H.P. is OK compared to the factory stock 360, but the torque is way better. The secondaries really open up at freeway passing speed. Enjoy the pictures I have tons more. Sorry it takes my awhile to get to the internet for response but I will eventually. I'll send more pics in new attachment it looks like 3 is the limit

Attachments:
File comment: Interior shot.
1978 Plymouth T.D. .JPG
1978 Plymouth T.D. .JPG [ 128.12 KiB | Viewed 7275 times ]
File comment: First time out since 1984. On its way to toyota dealer.
4836518892_564ffb1bf7_z.jpg
4836518892_564ffb1bf7_z.jpg [ 252.13 KiB | Viewed 7275 times ]
File comment: Original spare rim.
DSC04573 reduced.JPG
DSC04573 reduced.JPG [ 61.06 KiB | Viewed 7275 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1978 Plymouth Trail Duster Sport SE 4x4, Barn find!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm 

Really nice ramcharger, I love it. Also instead of starting a new post you can just click the reply button on the bottom and add new photos. This thing looks super clean very nice find.

Post subject: Re: 1978 Plymouth Trail Duster Sport SE 4x4, Barn find!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm 

Nice!!!!!!!!