File comment: 1978 Plymouth Trail Duster Sport SE
DSC04408 reduced.JPG
DSC04408 reduced.JPG [ 124.2 KiB | Viewed 10910 times ]
File comment: Interior shot.
1978 Plymouth Trail Duster.JPG
1978 Plymouth Trail Duster.JPG [ 130.73 KiB | Viewed 10910 times ]

Post subject: Re: MORE pictures of 1978 Plymouth Trail Duster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 pm 

Where is your California location? Looks like Bakersfield Foothills in the background photos.
Is there a equipment lable under the inside of hood over battery area?
Like to get a photo of that.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 pm 

I'm in San Diego County and the picture is on Palomar Mountain. Sorry no equipment label maybe removed by original owner. I asked him for any paper work but only got the sales info and a shop manual. I have a good line on the codes and also have the stuff to reproduce the label. I'll do that one of these days when I feel up to typing - Ha...
Here is an underhood shot. The battery was originally the max. duty 500 amp. that was white with blue top. I found exploded pieces of it in the engine compartment. It caused the wear under the hood.

Attachments:
DSC04354 reduced.JPG
DSC04354 reduced.JPG [ 139.02 KiB | Viewed 10893 times ]
DSC04353 reduced.JPG
DSC04353 reduced.JPG [ 130.59 KiB | Viewed 10893 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 pm 

Dodge Connection has the blank Equipment Labels. I think they are $5.00 each.
It's common for the equipment label to fall apart when its over the battery area on the hood (the explosion took care of that one).
I have some samples/internet copies of real Equipment Labels if you need to set up the options in the correct order. I also have all the codes on all options. Even the Roll Bar option code (I know you don't have one but it was a hard one to find)..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:32 pm 

Thanks for the info. I have bought several from Dodge connection and they seem to be spot on. I have pieced togather codes from diffrent models _truck vs ramcharger or trailduster but dont have anything specific to plymouth equipment labels. If you have a sample and the associated codes I would greatly appreciate the chance to get them copied. Even the roll bar, I bought one from another truck.

Mine has about all non-conflicting items, with exception of the Tuff steering wheel, an external tire carrier, sunroof, two tone paint or upgrade wheels/tires and roll bar.

Other wise all of the packages to include tint glass and sunscreen glass for rear side windows, tilt, cruise, Vaccume and volt gauge, clock, 440 w/auto(only auto available no stick shift available), heavy duty cycle eng. @ 6100gvw, 3.23 w/limited slip ( seems odd to have on a full time 4x4 but cool anyway), transfer case protection skid plates, 36 gal gas tank with skid plate, CB am/fm radio, A/C, 100 amp alt., 500 amp battery, heavy duty shocks and sway bar as well as heavy duty towing which along with A/C got the increased cooling system, rear step bumper (does not look as good as the chrome standard type oh well...). It was also painted the metalic red which was a new color that year. (Citron green would have been cool). Probably others I forgot.

Mine has only one "sport" emblem on the drives side and no holes on passenger side like it had fallen off. I know there is no re-paint so holes would be there if eblem originally came on passenger side. Did they come with only one? My 78 plymouth T.D. sales brochure states sport badge on fender not fender(s). Is this true?

Any way any codes would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 pm 

WOW! Got alot of codes to look up............ The Sport Package had upgraded interior (high back seats &, carpet). The Sport fender emblems were on both front fenders and they used double sided sticky emblem tape to keep them on & mounted under the TrailDuster emblem. The TrailDuster emblem had the holes in the fender and the TD emblem studs are pushed through the fender holes using the studs with a very thin piece of clear tubing to help it snap into & onto the fender.......
A Sport Emblem was also on rear tailgate under the pot metal Plymouth TrailDuster Script...A Sport Emblem was on the dash under the sheet metal opening lid of the glove box between the AC Vents. The emblem had threaded studs that went through the sheetmetal of dash............
There should be a radiator core support metal tag that is mounted on top front near the battery side of support with two screws. That tag will also gives some interior options, exterior paint code, VIN and build order number (I found that 2/3s of the TrailDuster/Ramcharger metal tags are missing due to a body shop removal to get the colors for fender bender repairs).
Give me a couple of days to get your option codes.
Dave

Attachment:
equipment ID plate.2.jpg
equipment ID plate.2.jpg [ 226.36 KiB | Viewed 10874 times ]

Attachment:
TD Tailgate emblems.jpg
TD Tailgate emblems.jpg [ 175.81 KiB | Viewed 10874 times ]

Attachment:
TD fender emblems.jpg
TD fender emblems.jpg [ 215.47 KiB | Viewed 10874 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 pm 

Thanks so much. Any help is appreciated.

I made a mistake on the rear end gear ratio. It is 3.55 insted of 3.23 like stated. I think that 3.55 was the only ratio available with limited slip which I know it has.

I have a strange Trail Duster. As mentioned in a prior post it was part of the no start program and I think this caused some crazy stuff to happen. For one, only one sport on exterior (driver fender). The emblem on the dash says Ramcharger SE not Trailduster. Maybe they ran out of tags or originally built it as a ramcharger but when it did not run off the assembley line they re-branded it as a lesser priced Plymouth? There have been a few oddities like that. I know for a fact that these were not altered by the original owner and no attaching residue on passenger fender, a I'm too big a Mopar freak to even think about altering things myself. The spare tire is the other strange one. Again factroy original but does not match the door lable for tire or rim size.
Originally sold at Westborne Dearborne Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealer
I do have the core tag and will decode.

Attachments:
T.D. Sport 1978 reduced.jpg
T.D. Sport 1978 reduced.jpg [ 95 KiB | Viewed 10849 times ]
DSC04356 red.JPG
DSC04356 red.JPG [ 76.63 KiB | Viewed 10849 times ]
DSC04331 reduced.JPG
DSC04331 reduced.JPG [ 101.37 KiB | Viewed 10849 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 pm 

PY3441-----R7-3441 CANYON RED SUNFIRE METALIC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 pm 

Since you have the equipment ID plate, how about I make a shipping paperwork copy of the with all the codes listed for your TrailDuster?
Photo of is my shipping paperwork on my 74 Trailduster.
Attachment:
73 plymouth trailduster specs.jpg
73 plymouth trailduster specs.jpg [ 247.93 KiB | Viewed 10844 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm 

Very cool to see an original!! Thank you. I assume that the codes did not change for an item from year to year? Of coarse they came up with new ones for new options --again assuming?