It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 81 Macho Ramcharger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 am 

this is from a broushure.....several of these have turned up in the last couple of years in different colors....

Attachments:
machoRC81.jpg
machoRC81.jpg [ 44.02 KiB | Viewed 5541 times ]

Post subject: Re: 81 Macho Ramcharger
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:40 pm 

I actually own one of the Machos like you show in the pic. I'm only the second owner-my father being the first. He ordered it brand new and kept it until he sold it to me. It had seen better days tho so I didn't "restore" it to factory specs. He ordered it with the 360, NP435 tranny, high back buckets, and AM radio with a single speaker in the dash. He drove it like this for the whole time that he owned it. I have some pics of it originally but not very good ones. I have since gone the "custom" route with it-although nothing I have done is irreversible. Currentlyit sits on 9" of lift with 36" tires and a custom black and charcoal paint job with some purple highlighting. I have been recently thinking about haviing the paint redone and lowering it back to stock and giving it back to my father.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:49 pm 

what color was it originally? were you the guy on RCC that was thinking about selling some original wheels from one of them???
if you can post some original pictures, that would be awsome...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 pm 

Pics of the original paint & stripes would be great- what were you going to do to replace the original stripe kit? Thanks! :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 pm 

I am the same BigRam that is on RCC. I did have the wheels on there at one time and have since changed my mind on selling them. Even though I may never use them again I like to try and keep as many of the original parts that came off of it. Lately I am in the phase of checking into what I would need to "restore" my Macho. The wheels,even tho original, would need blasting and restriping. I grew up in this truck so I knew it from it's birth. The odd thing is, even tho these trucks were fairly rare, there was another guy here in town that had and identical one to my fathers, except it was a 318 auto truck. We would occasionally pass when I was a kid and my father and him would wave like they knew each other, but really didn't. Kind of like a "It's A MACHO Thing...You Wouldn't Understand" type of thing. It was cool. I believe that truck is gone now.
As far as the stripes, I don't know. I thought I had a lead off of Mopar parts site but I guess that's no good now. It showed the stripes and all. It actually gave the price and everything for the right side but nothing for the left. I emailed them and it is no longer available. I had found another place that will make them but can't remember their name so I'm back to square one. Even if I did it would be a bit before I did anything. I did change the running gear to Dana 60's with 4.10's so I would keep that and also keep the 300HP/360 Magnum Crate that I put in it. I still have the original tranny, tcase combo in it. I do have the original front/rear axles at my fathers for it. It had 3.21's in the 1/2 ton combo.
One more thing for you guys about the Macho package. My father says that when he ordered his he remembers there being 4 differnt colors you could get as the center color(he doesn't remember the stripe combo tho). He says there was yellow(like mine), red, blue, and maybe orange. Have you all seen this? I've never seen this in the '81 model. Previous years had different stuff but not so much later on. Let me know and we'll chat soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:13 pm 

If you could get the dimensions of the original stripes, Stencils & Stripes or Phoenix Graphix might be able to make copies. Stencils & Stripes also sells a pinstriping kit with various standard thicknesses and color options if you needed to paint them on. I think the biggest problem is determining the thickness of the original stripe. ;)

Attachments:
C8_Orange.JPG
C8_Orange.JPG [ 1.75 KiB | Viewed 5731 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 pm 

Oops. :oops: Link:

http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/pr_misc_pin.asp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:47 am 

Here is a pic of an '81 macho Trailduster I found at Moparts.org - The stripe for a Ramcharger (at least in the brochure) looks like it might be a different thickness. ;)

Attachments:
81_Macho_Trailduster_Red_Insert.JPG
81_Macho_Trailduster_Red_Insert.JPG [ 68.54 KiB | Viewed 5532 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:55 am 

macho440 wrote:
Here is a pic of an '81 macho Trailduster I found at Moparts.org - The stripe for a Ramcharger (at least in the brochure) looks like it might be a different thickness. ;)

that use to be Greg's truck in florida.....he has since sold it after paint...it was a trailduster macho...
only 4 colors...the elusive blue.......
there is one in nevada for sale that is cashmere tan that is a trailduster macho...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:51 pm 

I would say that would be what the orange RC would look like also. Hared to tell cuz I've never seen an '81 in any other color than the Yellow like mine. I would say the stripes look similar in size but it's hard to tell cuz of the Orange on Orange. Looks good tho. Makes me want to line up a spot at the body shop for my makeover.