It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 57 w100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:11 pm 

Please stay w/ me while on protray a true, possibly boring story of a real pickup used as trucks were used back in the
day.
My dad sold Dodges. I remember a new dark blue & beige
57 Dodge pickup which sat on the lot for a long time. Back in the 50's people didn't buy trucks to drive around just to use more fuel than a car as they do now. They bought them for work & work they did. Finally the truck was sold to a resort owner.
In the early 60's a man called Orville who was a professional bullhead fisherman purchased the 57 from the estate. He was paid to remove rough fish(non-game) from the area lakes. He would then sell the fish to a processing place. People must have thought him a little off to buy a 4 wheel drive. Most folks don't need a 4x4 anymore than the man in the moon, but I'm sure it was great to be able to pull it in four wheel when he was on the deep snow packed frozen lakes of MN.
Finally he got another new Dodge, the 57 W100 became the snowplow truck @ the car lot for ten years. I always craved that truck, buying it with the plow in 1975.
I thought the valves were bad but it just needed a good tune up & off to my home it went. Freshly painted I let it sit for 10 years but couldn't stand it, so I started driving it once again. It has a couple scapes & chips but I love driving "ORVILLE" as my wife calls the truck. When I drove it up to my hunting grounds, stopping at a local tavern or resort folks alway, always
asked if I was driving "THE POWER WAGON"
It's actually low mileaged but has working experience unlike these so called pickups nowadays. You want to buy it, come to estate sale, read the obits.

Post subject: Re: 57 w100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 pm 

Nice looking truck with history 8-)

Attachments:
7Ehpa0000.jpg
7Ehpa0000.jpg [ 46.37 KiB | Viewed 5108 times ]

Post subject: Re: 57 w100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 pm 

both of them are beauties IMO!
I hope that that day is a heck of a long time away! I don't read obits, and I figured that out when I was younger....