It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A deal I couldn't pass on... '83 W350 crew cab!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 pm 

Just thought I'd do a quick share...this popped up on a Colorado Craigslist a couple of days ago and the price was right (haggled, only a little bit) and brought this home today! Didn't skip a beat in the 95 degree weather we were having today.

I'll fill y'all in tomorrow though as I'm beat!

Post subject: Re: A deal I couldn't pass on... '83 W350 crew cab!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 am 

The Ole "Rodeo Naked Edition"

Looks Solid!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:22 am 

It's a pretty solid truck all in all...PO had it for 10+ years and did lots of work to it.

To get up to snuff it'll need the front prop shaft (apparently the double cardan joint blew up a few months back), the carb rebuilt (or replaced) and jetted for this altitude, and cats (to pass emissions).

The truck started life as a 360 4bbl, but now has a "built" 318 from a '78 RC (bored .030 over) in it (supposedly has forged internals, new bearings, RV cam as well as an eddy intake and a thermoquad).

The axles (originally 44/60 w/3.55s) were also replaced with full time 44/60s w/4.10s from a military spec Dodge of some sort.

NP435 was rebuilt (new syncros/clutch/etc) recently and I think he said the 208 had been gone through around the same time too.

He also added a leaf or two in the front and back to give it a little lift.

PO said it needs ball joints, but it honestly felt no worse than any old Dodge besides a loose steering coupler.

He claims the engine is leaky but it has yet to make its mark on the driveway...but he said it was messy around the front crank seal and valve covers.

Besides ALL of the above the interior isn't bad. It needs to be cleaned up to my specs (has lots of old/disconnected wiring, no stereo, etc). The rear bench is near mint under the seat cover however the front bench has some cracking in the vinyl on the driver's side. Truck was originally a light blue metallic -- dash is dark blue, door panels (that are original) are light blue as are the seats. There's a small small hole in the drivers floor (PO made it out to be huge) as it'd been sitting in a field for a few years with the driver's window down before he got it. Minimal rust on the rest of the truck! It's a Custom with no AC, no cruise, or any real extras at all, just an old work truck.

I honestly never thought I'd have an affordable crew since everyone seem to want an arm and a leg for the 4x crews for Cummins conversions! Just a case of "right place, right time".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm 

I'll take some better folks once I get a temp tag on it, but for now...

I love how much room this thing has! I think the girlie and I might take this to Moab in the fall!

This is a mean looking rear bumper...looks great on a truck like this! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 am 

all of the W350 crew cabs came with D60's in the front and rear....I think they were swapped out before you or the PO got it. sounds like a decent deal. Was it an "ex" military truck....if so, the nomenclature will be on the dash.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 am 

This truck originally had a D44 front (only 8510 GVWR) -- and NP208 (vs 205 w/front D60). The PO swapped in D44/D60 full time 4.10 axles at some point...supposedly from a military spec truck. This truck isn't military (at least it has no markings that I can find).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:43 pm 

Those 4doors are too cool! Always nice to have a rig that you buy that you can drive right away and not have it be a all-out project from the beginning!
-J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:43 pm 

Agreed! You've scooped up quite a few of them!

The local yard here had two crews a couple of months back (one was 70s, the other was an 80s)...I didn't think the cabs alone were worth much until I've seen the work you've done!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 pm 

Well to play catch up...

The hood had holes so I couldn't resist and I had a good hood ornament (not even close to pristine so it fits the truck perfectly)...

Surprisingly the wheels cleaned up nicely...

Scored some parts last weekend...

'84 blue door panels & seat belt trim, instrument cluster, dash bezel, air cleaner, some emblems, etc.

From an '84 W350 Custom with cubby next to the 4x indicator

The part numbers are different between '83 and '84, but I figure these will be close enough (not going for a perfect truck, just cleaned up a bit).

Cluster, which is in surprisingly good shape (from an '85)...

Air cleaner (found on a TD Sport) and two sets of 350 Custom badges (figured it'd take me a while to find any)

Which is to replace this lovely piece...

I also finally replaced the leaky hose on my pressure washer today so I blasted a lot of gunk out of the engine bay...

Cleaned up the used air cleaner lid (a whopping $6 at the yard) and a new filter element (also $6)...so $12 well spent! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:01 am 

Another weekly installment...

A little discovery I made - and I'm sure some of you have run across this before...

...the company I work for manufactures these boxes...

...those in the middle row and the rear/left use a latch which at quick glance look identical to the sliding window latch. Sure enough I asked the right person about how to purchase some and he graciously handed me a few.

Sure enough they are the same part (made by the same manufacturer no less)!:

Dodge parts books show 3731 078 as being a "latch and keeper" good for 1982 through 1997 models. The latch itself is made by Southco and is part number 07-10-201-12 and can be had online for less.

Last weekend I scored more goodies at the junkyard including a good front prop shaft, mirror head, driver side tail light, proper coolant tank (had a 70s style just sitting between the radiator and core support), filler neck (copper flap is missing current neck and is a potential cause to fail emissions when they test the gas), jack tools (missing), and some '91-'93 corner lights (for a possible '91-'93 front end swap).

And lastly, a proper carb to match the intake/valve covers! Much better than the gummy old quadrajet that was hiding under the air cleaner!