It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dodge Cummins
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am 

Finally found a nice diesel to give the '76 440 truck a break from towing rigs home (and a break for my wallet!)
I wish it was a 5speed but couldn't pass up the deal on shape, price and mileage!
'93 Cummins W250 auto, LE, PS, PDB, PW, PL, AC, Cruise, Tilt, 4X4
Never had a reciever or 5thwheel, older gentleman had a camper on the back
61K miles, for $5K
More fun!
-Jim

Attachments:
93dodge_1a.jpg
93dodge_1a.jpg [ 203.81 KiB | Viewed 7332 times ]

Post subject: Re: Dodge Cummins
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 am 

you STOLE that truck! Nice find, and you won't be disappointed in it at all!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:17 am 

Very nice looking truck. That's about what I'm looking for too! I've been cruising craigslist but as usual, all the good trucks and great prices seem to mostly be out West.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:21 pm 

Thanks, here's a better pic, it needs some better tires and wheel too. Does anyone know if the '89-'93 Cummins 12valve trucks had problems with that dowel pin in the timing cover or is that the '94 and up? The steering bucket has a little slop so may put the new Mopar ujoint, any ideas how much those run now? $100+? Also need a speed sensor changeout which was pretty common in that era I think too..
-Jim

Attachments:
93dodge_d.jpg
93dodge_d.jpg [ 164.74 KiB | Viewed 7313 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:37 am 

yup, your gonna want to make sure the dowl pin is handled....
the slop your probably feeling is in the coupler at the steering gear, it is about a 50 dollar fix from your local parts store that carries DORMAN products, they sell a coupler repair kit for about 15 bucks, and a coupler for about 35....if not buy a borgeson shaft for about 200 bucks.
whats going on with the speed sensor, not speedo, or the no overdrive?
speedo is usually the speed sensor on the t-case, the no overdrive is usually the TPS sensor on the injection pump...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 am 

Ya, the dowel pin will be a good afternoon project.. More fun..

It is most likely the blocks on the shaft that have the wear, hopefully not the bucket. Mopar dealers still carry the shaft pin, blocks, and boot seal for about 13 bucks, but they discontinued the bucket side. Mopar then carries a borgeson style setup now, yep close to 200 which would be the fixall! We'll see what it looks like! I'll have to see what the Dorman parts dealer has on hand too.

The speed sensor is something I'll have to tinker with. It does have OD but it takes a little while to kick in, basicially you get up to speed and just let off a bit and it'll shift in, it really depends on the speed when it pops in/out. Sometimes it'll shift at 45, sometimes at 55-60. I've fixed a few other peoples trucks with the same wierd shift pattern, end up cleaning the pins, and sensor and having success. Have you seen that before? I'm hoping it's the same, otherwise that's quite a difference between a 40$ and a 400$ part! ALSO, what can I run for trans fluid in that machine? MOPAR ATF+4, or Dextron/Mercon 3 and up?

Thanks for the advice! I'll ya posted.

Found another guy doing the 4door conversion. He parted out a early '91 4x4 standard cab long box diesel (nonintercooled) pulled the cab etc. off, found a NICE '80s Royal SE 350 2wd 4door and put it on the 4x4 chassis. Since he only had a 5ft space left for a box, he made a fairly nice wood box for it. What was cool is that 80s 4door is a factory tilt, cruise, AC, PW, PL truck! What he did with the gas tank height prob, was cut a hole which is underneath the back seat and build up some sort of plate, he still had to do a small body lift also like you mentioned. Pretty neat! And the deal was getting the std. cab and front clip for 125 bucks!
-Jim