It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need tuning advice on 318
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 pm 

I have a 91 Dodge Ram with 318. It runs great mostly but sometimes after it warms up, the "check engine" light comes on and it smells like it's burning rich. It also idles higher.

I had a friend who is a shade tree guy look it over and he said there was this vacuum type thing on the manifold that tends to clog up on 318s. He cleaned it and it seemed to run fine for a while but lately is right back to burning rich again.

Should I have this part replaced? Is it something I can do myself? Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Need tuning advice on 318
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 pm 

those TBI engines are prone to getting carbon/soot in the tbi base and plugging stuff off. you might have to check the exhaust O2 sensor and also make sure that the computer is working right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:47 pm 

Hey,

Another thing you could check if it's still doing it, is the O rings for the two injectors on the throttle body get dry/crack and they don't seal that well then it starts dribbling gas down the carb into the engine. I had a 360 '91 dodge do that, however I think it was too late, the previous owner drove it like that and there was too much gas in the oil, started wearing out the bearings. If you check down the throat of the carb, you should be able to see if the is fuel seeping from where the injector goesinto the carb housing..

How is the oil pressure on your '91? I'm trying to figure out if they had some weird batches of cam bearings from 90-93, I've seen trucks that when warm, idle, the oil is about zero, oil light flickers on but goes back up to 40psi when offidle,driving etc Doesn't appear to be a sending unit or lifter noise or anything.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:51 pm 

THat vaccum thing was probably the EGR valve, they usually get carboned up because there is a rich situation going on. Make sure it's functioning properly, not stuck, test with a vac. pump. Those 91s have miles of vac. lines on them, I've testing just about everything on my '91, emmision stuff = problems..

-Jim