It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to decode TON & MDH numbers?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm 

I`m wondering if anybody here can decode these codes? I`ve looked all over the net, came up with nothing. My `78 440 Adventurer SE Power Wagon (W14BD8S2009XX) was supposedly built 8/25/78, but I don`t believe the last 6 of the vin bears this out??? My truck is badged both as a Power Wagon & an Adventurer SE - Power Wagon on hood & fender, Adventurer SE on dash. I know these markings are original, I`m the third owner. Still trying to locate the original owner to verify some things about the truck... Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, supposedly only 74 1978 440 100-series trucks were built, all special order. I have seen this in an excerpt from a book, but I`m having difficulty completely buying this... I`m wondering if this applies to only D100`s, W100`s etc. The article states "across all truck lines", if my memory serves. While it would be nice, I`m just having a hard time believing this??

Post subject: Re: How to decode TON & MDH numbers?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 pm 

Ok....
The TON is the order number given to it by the order recipt sent in by the dealer. 08-25-78 is not a MDH number. MDH= Month, Day, Hour. It could be possible that the truck was special ordered, and they could have been waiting for a specific part to be released so the truck could be finished......kinda like a parts restriction for a period of time.....the sequence number was given after the truck was ordered......and bears nothing as to when it was built....
Yes, some Adv SE trucks had both the Adv SE fender nameplate and power wagon hood nameplates....where some had the powerwagon 150 decal on the fender....no rhyme or reason....

The 74 unit production number only applies to"D14BD8S". otherwise known as "D100/D150" sweptline 2wd trucks ONLY, and is NOT the number for the "W" series 1/2 tons.... Lots of people get these confused....

Dan.....

I saw that you called, but I only got about the first 3 seconds of the message....
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 am 

Thx, Sam. The 8-25-78 date is based on info given to me based on the MDH on the truck`s sticker, but I`ve found nothing else online... Thx for clearing up the q on the 74 440 trucks. I`ve been dubious as to that applying to "all product lines", there seems to be a fair # of 100 and 150 series 4x4 440`s around... I`ve included a pic of my MDH, maybe some one here knows how to decode them?? Mine doesn`t make sense, in that format.

On the subject of emblems, mine came through w/ the metal ones one the hood and decals on the fenders. I`ve read that decals on the fender was a late production change? Mine were Power Wagon 150. Mine has the Adventurer SE on the dash below the glove box.

Attachments:
05-02-10_1522.jpg
05-02-10_1522.jpg [ 63.13 KiB | Viewed 3708 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:15 pm 

The change occured after november of 77 production, but once again, no rhyme or reason, some got decals, and some got hood nameplates and fender nameplates. I have yet to see a fender decal and a power wagon hood nameplate...
Your MDH looks like 024522 from the picture...
02= Feburary
45=???????? maybe it is 15 or 25...which would be the day of the month
22= 10 pm at night....military time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:10 pm 

Thx Sam, I thought that the date I was given was off - sticker says 2-78 i believe (havn`t cleaned it for fear of damage). At first I thought it was 8-78... So I`m also thinking the 45 has to be a misprint or somebody on the line had a sense of humor! Do you know what the "X" denotes? I`m still trying to locate the original owner, I have some Q`s. I do believe my truck is original, I know the past 23 years of it`s history (10 of 2nd owner, 13 of me). I`ll call you later, thx for the help Sam.