It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: starter relay fuse keeps blowing????
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:35 pm 

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site but not to mopar. My powerwagon has me stumped so I thought I'd ask some fellow enthusiasts. It's a 74 w100 powerwagon with a 318/727. Here's my problem. It's been eating starter relay fuses,originally only here or there and it was still driveable.I thought I had a grounded wire somewhere. After chasing wires down I couldn't find anything naked or burnt.... So the other day I'm leaving work and something went crazy and it blew the fuse again but it also blew every bulb I was using outside the truck(headlights,taillights,running lights and even my interior dome light). All those bulbs blew and shattered except the headlights. I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.THANKS :?:

Post subject: Re: starter relay fuse keeps blowing????
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm 

Have you check your alternator voltage regulator? You may be super charging the battery system with plus 16 volts and blowing the bulbs. Put at volt meter on the battery terminals and have the truck idling. If your over 15.5volts then I would say your voltage reg is blown/shorted.If you go to high idle (1500 RPM) and the voltage is 16 or more, then it's a shorted (some where it's chassis grounded) field wire on the alternator blowing the voltage regulator (alternator is hot to touch).......... As far as the starter relay fuse that may be an other problem with a ground issue. Does it blow when you are cranking the starter? Could be resistance in the battery cables (looks like green powder inside the cable insulation on the copper strands).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 pm 

I haven't checked the voltage regulator or any alternator issues. I will asap The fuse holds usually through the start of the motor.when its cold natured and dies then when I go to start it again its blown. Its also blown while I drive it so I'm puzzled I'll definitely get a meter and do some checking Thanks for the input !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 pm 

sounds like voltage regulator...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:17 pm 

Thanks for all the replies.I yanked off the voltage regulator from my duster which was fairly new and it runs like a champ.I always assumed the back melted when they go haywire? Just glad she's up and going again.Thanks guys!!! :D