It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Christmas rant...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:13 pm 

[rant] A local "Dollar Store" just lost my business. When I got home, I sent their company the following "feedback."
Quote:
You have just lost a valued customer.

I've shopped with ****** Dollar for about as long as you've been in business, almost always paying with cash. This morning I stopped into your store for last minute Christmas items and gifts. Not having cash with me, I presented my Visa credit card as payment. The cashier informed me that ****** Dollar required a pin number for this credit card! I've used this same card for a number of years in hotels, restaurants and stores in three states and have never once been asked to provide a pin number for any purchase with this card. Needless to say, I left the merchandise on the counter and had to walk out in embarrassment.

At the ****** grocery store next to yours, I have for years purchased thousands of dollars in groceries and they've never once asked me for a pin number for any credit card. I DO NOT use debit cards.

If your company is so paranoid about credit card fraud that it would risk losing good customers who would more than make up the differences with their frequent purchases then so be it. I will happily inform everyone I know of your asinine credit card policy.

Things may be different where you are but I live in a very small town and am unaccustomed to this. I've taken credit cards at MY business for years and have never been defrauded by credit card payment. I think a driver's license would have been sufficient.

I know this is of little interest to anyone. I just needed to blow off some steam about it.[/rant]

Post subject: Re: A Christmas rant...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 pm 

never been asked for a PIN on my credit card.....a ZIP Code is now common place for Credit Card transactions at a gas pump, but not inside.....

Post subject: Re: A Christmas rant...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:10 pm 

Got this back just a few minutes ago...
Quote:
I do apologize, but our technology at this location does not allow us to accept credit card transactions. We can accept only debit transactions at this time. In the new year, we are upgrading our technology which will allow us to take credit card transactions. We do have 2 new ******* Dollar locations [in your area] that can accept credit card transactions.

Again, I do apologize for our lack of technology and wish you a very nice holiday. If you would like to discuss, my cell phone number is (***) ***-**** —your phone number was not listed on the email I received.

Thank you for your business, we do appreciate it.

To which I replied...
Quote:
Thanks for getting back with me. Your message explains much. The cashier did not inform me that this was the case. I specifically stated that it was a "credit card" and not a debit card. She still insisted that I must input a pin. Maybe she just didn't know there was a difference.

In light of your explanatory and apologetic message, all is forgiven and I will continue to shop with you. I would suggest however that it might be prudent to go over this with the store's cashier as I was never told by her that this particular store doesn't yet accept credit cards. She was very nice. I have no complaints about her at all. I felt she was just carrying out company policy.

Thank you for your timely and considerate message. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.