It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: smog questions for the state of cali
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 pm 

i just moved to cali with my gf and i live in the madera area, i am not familiar with the smog tests and stuff so i was wondering if you guys had any useful info on how to make my 78 macho pass or get an exemption for it.

Post subject: Re: smog questions for the state of cali
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 am 

ok, so I am about an hour south of you....and have a smog license....
so here is the deal....your truck needs to have all of the emissions components that it left the factory with in functioning condition, and pass a tailpipe test. To my knowledge there are no true exemptions anymore, unless it is for a non avalible part....
what motor does your truck have, and do you have performance parts on it???
I am in Dinuba...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 am 

dang i didnt know you lived so close, i wanna buy another truck and if you got any or even just parts like frames fenders doors you get the idea, id love to get some info and prices id really like a ramcharger or td thats 75 or older so it is full smog exempt. get back with me if youd be interested in meeting and hanging out sometime. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:24 pm 

Your 78 Macho smog inspection: After Palomino looks at it, and your ready to take it in for the first run through. Make sure the inspector is informed that the truck is "all wheel drive". The Smog Test Only Sites tend to do a cattle run on cars & trucks and put every one onto the emission floor rollers and run the engine up to 2500 RPM in gear........... After I had told the inspector about the AWD on my truck, he started the truck up and put it in gear and the truck jumped off the rollers and was headed for the nearest wall. I asked him why he did that and he said he was making sure the truck was AWD..... I suspect he was on the cattle run mode, but he may have gotten his shorts moist heading for that wall though. Hopefully he will remember what AWD is on the next '70s Dodge, Chevy & Jeep 4x4 truck that comes in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:28 pm 

thats useful info, but my macho isnt in cali and itll cost 1000 or more to get it here so idk that it ever will, id really like to build an rc or td with a small block and 5 spd with a part time tcase and 3/4 to 1 ton axles and 35s just to have something cool to drive and pull with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 pm 

`I know what you mean, here's mine.......'74 TD, 3/4 Dana 44 ft, 3/4 Dana 60 rear.4:10 to 1, 285X75X16 2001 Ram 3/4 rims. Helwig rear sway bar and 4" lift w/ranchos. 35 gal tank and custom built 2" IV tow reciever. Rebuilt 360 Factory 4V (T code) engine with all stock componets (Thermoquad, massaged & ported cast iron exhaust manifolds, 727 trans. '92 Ramcharger ft & back seats. Factory '90 Magnum 360 engine single exhaust. 82 rear pick up step bumper.
Attachment:
74 PLY TD COMBO PHOTOS.jpg
74 PLY TD COMBO PHOTOS.jpg [ 235.05 KiB | Viewed 9734 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 am 

that looks really good, but id go with a more aggressive look lol, black wheels, yellow paint black hood and black roof and bottom with the 78 78 macho stripes and id get more aggressive tires

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:51 am 

macho781988 wrote:
dang i didnt know you lived so close, i wanna buy another truck and if you got any or even just parts like frames fenders doors you get the idea, id love to get some info and prices id really like a ramcharger or td thats 75 or older so it is full smog exempt. get back with me if youd be interested in meeting and hanging out sometime. thanks

Hey, I have a lot of stuff here....and am in a scrapping mood if you know what I mean...lol.
Yeah, if time permits, we could hang out...busy schedule, being a high school auto shop teacher and a dad of 3.
I am almost ready to scrap out a 77 ramcharger(no paperwork), and some other ones. I will be gone till tomorrow evening, so I will check back in then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 am 

i want a 75 and older so i dont gotta deal with smog cause well i just dont wann deal with it lol, i gota get a car first me and my gf are planning on buying one soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:59 pm 

here's a '74 TD in Medford, OR. I would question the divorced transfer case comment. I did not think there was enough wheel base for the correct rear drive line angle.
http://ramchargercentral.com/cars-truck ... -or-$1200/