It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The economy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:25 pm 

Is your business good? Bad? Layoffs in your area? Or are things about the same? I ask because I can definitely see it getting worse here. South Carolina has the second highest unemployment rate in the country right now. Only Michigan's is higher. Folks I know who've had the same job in industry for twenty and thirty years are getting laid off. My business has been on a downhill spiral for three months now because people are really watching every penny. Luckily I'm in a business where I can keep cutting back to the point where it's just me if necessary.

How are things where you are?

Post subject: Re: The economy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:57 pm 

I live in Michigan, that pretty much says it all dosen't it. I had a great winter with lots of snow, even better than last year. As far as this summer, time will tell. I am afraid there will be a proliferation of people laid off from other jobs that will turn to lawn care and landscaping and will do it for next to nothing. People may begin taking care of things themselves or turn to the cheapest fly by night operations. This will be an interesting year no doubt On the plus side there are some good deals on used trucks. Fuel prices are low and if they stay that way it will be a big help. I haven't seen a lot of new posts on here lately, I guess people are working to keep their heads above water like I am.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 pm 

Not the greatest but about the same- I've been laying low most of the winter looking at Power Wagons or possibly a new (used) Dodge van. This place is kind of rough anyway- there are jobs but no real money to speak of- the cost of living is pretty cheap here so you can survive. Not the most exciting place though aside from the riverboat gambling and gentlemen's clubs which cost money. Those two industries are probably suffering, among others. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 pm 

24v6spd wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of new posts on here lately, I guess people are working to keep their heads above water like I am.

That might be the reason. I can say I've been working really hard here lately and am increasingly finding it difficult to do much else...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 am 

Retail store I have managed for past 3 years closed it's doors almost 3 weeks ago, no luck on new job yet. Every employer I have applied with says the same thing, that they have stacks and stacks of applications to sift through. Many billboards along highways are empty. America is in for tough times.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:15 pm 

Things are slowing down here too. I've been putting out "specials" just to try and get customers in the door. Seems to be working as everyone seems to like the same goods they've been buying at a reduced price.