It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: H1N1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 am 

It's finally made its way to my town in South Carolina. Many kids are out with it in surrounding schools. Just two nights ago, my son developed a high fever and started sleeping a lot. This after a day of listlessness and some coughing. Since then, he's been acting pretty much normal except for the fever. His teacher called to say he was among five others who were out of class yesterday.

I'm not too alarmed because our doctors say what we are seeing here is a very mild form of it. In fact, this might even be a blessing since it will give our kids immunity from whatever more virulent forms may come back around later.

Personally, I think this whole "swine flu" deal has been blown way out of proportion.

I'm sure many of you are already dealing with it or are about to. What's the flu situation like where you are?

Post subject: Re: H1N1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 am 

Lucky for now. no signs. I do not have kids. My sister has 2, one 4 and the other 2. As far as the rest of the family, no one has seen any sins yet.

UpState NY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 am 

I agree that a little exposure
may be a good thing. Has to be taken
very seriously though. "The Great Influenza of 1918" by Barry
is the scariest book I've ever read.

Also just listened to CD book "America's Hidden History"
by Davis.

One thing Queen Isabella told Cristobal Columbo for his
trip, was 'Take some pigs"

And it may have been the pigs, and their flus, that devastated the
people who had already discovered America. :(

no previous exposure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 am 

.As we talked about before, the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic was indeed very scary. Have a look at this. I think this author makes some very logical and valid points.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 pm 

That's what I would expect from a site called politics.com

I think the CDC and WHO have posted logical statements.

The politic thing doesn't even mention one critical
difference between now and 1918. Modern Aviation.

I was surprised
he didn't mention that Global Warming might actually
keep people healthier. (you know, shorter flu season
and all) :roll:

The conspiracy part about an evil corporation
releasing it in the interest of profit. straight from
a Rocky and Bullwinkle story line.

In fact it likely was a profit minded corporation,
shipping pig breeding stock down to Mexico.

Why are people always looking for the least likely
answers (aliens working with the N Koreans and
the Democrats). Rather than, we have exported
our jobs to every corner of the world in the interest
of cheap stuff (including ham) at Walmart.

"Take some pigs" OOOOps we did it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:49 pm 

where's the pop-corn smiley when you need one.....
there is a lot of interesting stuff there....
politics though....that can raise some eyebrows....

back to my normally scheduled programming.... :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 pm 

LAST440, I said he makes SOME very logical and valid points. According to the article:
Quote:
Why 2009 is Not 1918

First, World War I was characterized by millions of troops living in waterlogged trenches along the Western Front. This war zone became fertile ground for an opportunistic virus, as medical literature reveals:

“…a landscape that was contaminated with respiratory irritants such as chlorine and phosgene, and characterized by stress and overcrowding, the partial starvation in civilians, and the opportunity for rapid ‘passage’ of influenza in young soldiers would have provided the opportunity for multiple but small mutational charges throughout the viral genome.” (1)

Second, the war witnessed the growth of industrial-scale military camps and embarkation ports, such as Etaples in France, enabling the flu virus to enter into another phase of accelerated mutation. On any given day, Etaples was a makeshift city of 100,000 troops from around the British Empire and its former dominions. These soldiers concentrated into unsanitary barracks, tents and mess halls.

Today, many cities and nations have dense concentrations of people; none of these, however, are geographically isolated under the conditions of trench warfare and World War I-style deployments. Of course, there are smaller, sub-populations of people in prisons (prone to multi-drug resistant tuberculosis), in military barracks (prone to respiratory pathogens and meningococcal infections) and on cruise ships (prone to the Norovisus) – all proof of the connection between human confinement on the one hand and infectious disease on the other.

Third, after the war, ships such as the USS Alaskan became floating Petri dishes. Thousands of soldiers were packed like sardines for the long voyage home, allowing the virus to reverberate within hermetically-sealed units.

Fourth, returning troops were stuffed into boxcars for the train trip back to military bases, where they infected new recruits. Later, it was documented that Army regiments whose barracks allowed only 45 square feet per soldier had a flu incidence up to ten times that of regiments afforded 78 square feet per man. (2)

The 1918 flu virus became pandemic because, during World War I, the normal host-pathogen relationship was abandoned when millions of young men crowded into geographical confinement. In World War I, a flu virus was presented with a seemingly limitless number of hosts – almost all young, male, and with compromised immune systems. Unconstrained and unchecked by the usual habits of human behavior, the virus went rogue.

Flu viruses are smart, but they are not suicidal: if the host becomes extinct the virus will become extinct too. The evolutionary strategy, from the virus’s perspective, is to stay one step ahead of the immune systems of both humans and animals – but not two steps ahead. The flu virus aims to infect and reproduce without killing a critical mass of the hosts, of the herd, so the virus’s virulence is ameliorated after it becomes fatal for people on the margins of the host population – the weak and the elderly. World War I disrupted this synchronized, co-evolutionary relationship between flu viruses and human populations.

No flu since 1918 has been strong enough to produce, in millions of people, a “cytokine storm,” which is an immunological over-reaction leading to pulmonary edema (the lungs filling with fluid) - the curse of those with the strongest immune systems, normally between 20 and 40 years of age.

In normal flu pandemics, even in severe ones, the flu virus kills a portion of the weak and elderly. This appears to be the case in 1837 for Germany and in 1890 for Russia in 1890, though reliable medical evidence is scarce. It was certainly true for the Asian flu of 1957 and the Hong Kong flu of 1968, neither of which were significantly fatal for young adults. The flu 1976-1977 has been exposed as a boondoggle, a fraud, with far more people dying of the vaccine than from the flu itself.

Indeed, 1918 was an aberration. Since then, no flu has scythed away so many people: some 500,000 Americans and anywhere between 25 - 50 million people worldwide in three waves: first in March, then in August (the deadliest wave), and in then again in November of 1918, lasting into the spring of 1919.

The origins of the 1918 pandemic can be traced back to the trenches of the Western Front in 1915, 1916, and 1917 – to the world’s first large-scale industrial and international war. There was no other cause: If WWI had not been fought, it is inconceivable that the 1918 flu pandemic would have been so severe. Today, in 2009, absent the conditions of WWI, it is preposterous for political and medical authorities to claim that the swine flu is a menace to society.

Please tell me what is illogical or invalid about these points. Just because you don't like some of what he says doesn't mean everything he says has no merit. If this is about what you'd expect from a site called politics.com, perhaps the artical would be more palatable for you from one of the other sites on the web where it was also posted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:39 pm 

palomino wrote:
politics though....that can raise some eyebrows....

The article was posted on more than a hundred other places on the web. I actually read it somewhere else. When I searched for it, I chose a site at random from the first page of my search. I really didn't think where it was linked from would turn out to be more of an issue than the article itself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 pm 

Dapper Dan wrote:
palomino wrote:
politics though....that can raise some eyebrows...

The article was posted on more than a hundred other places on the web..

UH better make that a hundred and 1 :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:05 am 

well....
politics and forums....they don't mix well, like oil and water....unless it is Italian Dressing...then it is only good for a short while...then it has to be mixed up again..
I'm not a politician by any stretch.... just a shop teacher who is a realist...
someday we will all die, we are dying a little each day, and have been since the day that we were born... If we dwell on this kind of !@#$ all the time, then we would live a very short unhappy life of worry..... There are things that I do that certainly don't do my lungs or heart any good, but I still do them...call me stupid, but that is my release for all of the daily havoc that I have to deal with. I had a VERY disheartening situation take place over the weekend that made me think of how people can change for no reason....I talked with a VERY GOOD FRIEND this afternoon, and he talked me out of doing something back on that very situation over the weekend...he said I was too nice a guy to go and do that...THANKS JEFF..
How did I get from Italian Dressing to thanking a Friend and maybe getting off topic??? I guess it means that with all the bad that happens in the world every day, there are still a lot of good things that we all take for granted, and we need to make sure that we acknowledge things daily.....the good stuff about life....

where did that come from..... :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next