It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truckless
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:53 pm 

I've been driving trucks of various models since the early 1980s. Through a recent series of expensive events, plus a severe downturn in business, I had to sell my 91 RAM to raise enough money for state licenses for my business.

We still have our 2006 Caravan and I have my 67 Olds 442 that runs great. I'll hunker down and wait it out. I've made it through rough economic times before and I'll make it through this one. When it's over, I fully intend to buy another older RAM 4x4, but this is the first time in 26 years I've had no truck at all.

Feels pretty weird... :(

Post subject: Re: Truckless
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:05 pm 

sorry to hear about that....
well, maybe when things make a turn for the better you can pick up a macho...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 pm 

aside from my sophomore and junior years in college when i needed a gasgetter and not something with a bed, the longest ive been without a truck is just over 1 month. i sold my ctd crew and thought i could make it without one. boy was i wrong...

sorry to hear you had to sell your ram. i know when money gets tight around my place, i entertain selling my srt, and the wife quickly ends that idea. there are plenty more trucks out there. going without one for a while makes you appreciate the next one that much more.

Post subject: Trucked!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:11 am 

As I reported earlier, I had to sell my '91 to aid in raising funds for state licenses for my business. The wife and I traveled to the state capital for the license (the one I mailed in was not satisfactory to them and I needed it back asap) and on the way back went through a tiny community about 40 minutes from where we live.

On the side of the road at an old mom and pop grocery store was an 89 RAM. I pulled in to have a look and it was priced at $800.00! I called the number on the windshield immediately and met with the seller the next day. He is a small dealer whose main lot is in a larger town and as it turns out, a good customer of mine! He said the truck had 129 thousand miles. Since it was a 318, I felt it might as well be 129 miles if it runs without burning oil. I drove it down the road and back and it really drives like a new one!

Attachment:
89_Ram_1_.jpg
89_Ram_1_.jpg [ 431.51 KiB | Viewed 3504 times ]

Since I purchased it and have had it serviced, there seems to be signs that the truck has been sitting idle for a very long time. The last inspection sticker was from 1996. South Carolina did away with mandatory inspections after that time. My mechanic said the air cleaner looked like it was over 10 years old and the radiator fluid was mud red. The brakes needed work from sitting up he thinks. Given all this, and the pretty fair condition of the body, I'm thinking it is even possible the truck might really have 29 thousand miles on it rather than 129 thousand!

Attachment:
89_Ram_2.jpg
89_Ram_2.jpg [ 409.2 KiB | Viewed 3500 times ]

Either way, it seems very sound mechanically and hits the road just right! I'll work on it as I go along, but feel like this is a very solid truck for a very good price. I'm satisfied.

Funny how things work out sometimes... :)

Attachment:
89_Ram_3.jpg
89_Ram_3.jpg [ 339.35 KiB | Viewed 3499 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 am 

Every time one truck door closes,

Somewhere another one opens up. :D

Great looking!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:22 pm 

Karma my friend! :D It's funny how things work out at being at the right place at the right time.I'm glad your not truckless anymore. :)