It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1981 MACHO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:14 pm 

you may have some fun getting it to pass. If the smog shop starts looking for a hose routing, you may have some problems. If it were here in Ca, it would have to have everything functioning as it did when new in the same configuration....standards are tighter than that here in CA, and getting tighter every year for the older stuff....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:28 pm 

I use to install Walker Exhaust systems. You can get everything at Napa Auto Supply.
They are a major supplier of Walker. The thing to do is try to get a CD/Hard Parts book of the Walker exhaust systems........and just order piece by piece,,,I don't like the counter man/boys looking it all up for you. Some times there is a foot note that gets you a better/different configuration or explanation of why the pipe is discontinued and what is the new replacement part with 5" cut off(example).........The original Pipe hangers are very important to have on the truck. Check them out closely for modifications (mainly where the Cat used to be). Thats where the CD/hard parts book come in handy to see what the original hanger looked like...............Another way is to see if there is a wrecking yard where you can buy the complete exhaust system used. Then replace the pipe/muffler/cat as needed.
Here in California We have Pick&Pull and the prices are right and the Dodge Trucks are abundant, that's how I have done two exhaust systems on my '79 & '74. But you will need a torch is to get the pipes apart..................................
Eldelbrock Carb Jetting by owner/installer? Probably never happened. So your running rich at the altitude your at.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm 

palomino wrote:
you may have some fun getting it to pass. If the smog shop starts looking for a hose routing, you may have some problems. If it were here in Ca, it would have to have everything functioning as it did when new in the same configuration....standards are tighter than that here in CA, and getting tighter every year for the older stuff....

Well I just talked to a good buddy of mine and he has a '70s K5 and it is very much the same (he bought it with a rebuilt engine, bunch of aftermarket goodies, no emissions equipment) and he passes emissions every year (at the state rn stations) with just cats. Maybe I'll get lucky...

macho4x4warlock wrote:
I use to install Walker Exhaust systems. You can get everything at Napa Auto Supply.
They are a major supplier of Walker. The thing to do is try to get a CD/Hard Parts book of the Walker exhaust systems........and just order piece by piece,,,I don't like the counter man/boys looking it all up for you. Some times there is a foot note that gets you a better/different configuration or explanation of why the pipe is discontinued and what is the new replacement part with 5" cut off(example).........The original Pipe hangers are very important to have on the truck. Check them out closely for modifications (mainly where the Cat used to be). Thats where the CD/hard parts book come in handy to see what the original hanger looked like...............Another way is to see if there is a wrecking yard where you can buy the complete exhaust system used. Then replace the pipe/muffler/cat as needed.
Here in California We have Pick&Pull and the prices are right and the Dodge Trucks are abundant, that's how I have done two exhaust systems on my '79 & '74. But you will need a torch is to get the pipes apart..................................
Eldelbrock Carb Jetting by owner/installer? Probably never happened. So your running rich at the altitude your at.

That's an excellent idea -- I know there were a few short beds at the yard -- anything pre-Magnum should bolt right up to stock exhaust manifolds, correct? Then I can replace bits as needed -- and have the original hangers. I think mine are missing but I'll have to take another look.

Would it be worth rejetting the carb before emissions or just lean it out?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:36 pm 

I picked up some goodies at the yard yesterday -- nothing too exiting though.

Got a good filler neck as mine was punched out where the flap was in the filler -- and they'll definitely see that when they do the gas cap test (not a tank leak down, but only the cap itself). :roll:

I also scored a nice OE antenna and two Cashmere colored visors!

Lastly, if anyone needs some '70s 5x7 mirror bases -- snagged them from a truck that'll probably be crushed this week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 pm 

You know, It's hard to do a HC test with all the emission system missing using the State Specs. Maybe you should check the plugs for color. Dark grey would be an over rich indication, a salmon color would be in the correct A/F mixture. White would be too lean A/F mixture. If your running lean, I would leave the carb alone untill you get the original exhaust system back on and check the plugs again (may require a plug change to get a solid reading). Also the plug check sould be done after cruising at 55 for 30 min. Around town drive will tend to show richness due to stop & go.
Modern autos now run all white on the plug electrode insulator because of the computer makes the car run more lean.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:07 pm 

interested in the mirror bases and plates...tried to send a PM, but it wouldn't work...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 pm 

Hey those mirror mounts are nice.
I have the specs for proper mounting holes on the door of a '79 Warlock.
I will post the photo spec.
Attachment:
Mopar Sport mirror mounting specs.2.jpg
Mopar Sport mirror mounting specs.2.jpg [ 241.3 KiB | Viewed 2548 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 pm 

macho4x4warlock wrote:
You know, It's hard to do a HC test with all the emission system missing using the State Specs. Maybe you should check the plugs for color. Dark grey would be an over rich indication, a salmon color would be in the correct A/F mixture. White would be too lean A/F mixture. If your running lean, I would leave the carb alone untill you get the original exhaust system back on and check the plugs again (may require a plug change to get a solid reading). Also the plug check sould be done after cruising at 55 for 30 min. Around town drive will tend to show richness due to stop & go.
Modern autos now run all white on the plug electrode insulator because of the computer makes the car run more lean.

Sure, that makes perfect sense to me! Thank you.

For comparison, here's what my stickers show:

Although it makes no reference of California emissions, here's a sticker I pulled off of an '81 at the yard yesterday...

For now I'll do as you suggested -- get the exhaust back to stock, check the plugs (and/or replace), do an oil change, and see where it sits after some real driving time.

palomino wrote:
interested in the mirror bases and plates...tried to send a PM, but it wouldn't work...

Replied to your PM!

macho4x4warlock wrote:
Hey those mirror mounts are nice.
I have the specs for proper mounting holes on the door of a '79 Warlock.
I will post the photo spec.

Unfortunately nothing else on the truck was in nearly as nice shape -- I cleaned them up quick before the photos with some Brasso -- I'm sure with some real elbow grease they'll look great!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 pm 

Oh and lastly, I put the OE antenna on, removed the gaudy "carbon fiber" shift knob in favor of an OE part, and removed the shotgun rack (that's what I was told it was -- never seen one like it before) in favor of the Cashmere visors I got at the yard.

Anyone ever seen a rack like this -- covered in a black felt-like material and mounts to the visors holes -- with additional holes on the rack to mount the visors to...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:17 pm 

The emission sticker for timing and plugs is one I have not seen in a while.
16 degrees BTC, wooo boy, pull the reins in!!! I guess thats why all the vacuum plumbing and delay valve notes.
Later in the 80's the computer ECM probally solved the advance problems with emissions problems.
My '79 360 pinged bad if I had it set to the emission sticker of 8-10 degrees.
The engine was most happy at 4 degrees BTC.
But I had to reset it the the spec every two years for the smog inspection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next