It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1981 MACHO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:23 am 

whoooa....
that is a federal emission 318 4bbl.....with a dual snorkle air cleaner too per the emissions decal.... WOW, nevder heard of that setup on a 318 before...
wonder if the person you bought it from might have the air cleaner, or know if the previos owner does.....or even the rest of the stuff for the emissions.....
that may be tough to find stuff...low alt stuff may be hard to find in your area...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:43 am 

thinking about it, I have a carb off of a 81 d350 crew cab that had a 360 4bbl in it. I think it would be close to what you should of had....this was an Oregon DOT truck..... I know it will need a kit for sure, but was renning before the truck got parked a couple of years back....I also have the air cleaner too, but it is way different than what your decal says it needs....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 am 

macho4x4warlock wrote:
The emission sticker for timing and plugs is one I have not seen in a while.
16 degrees BTC, wooo boy, pull the reins in!!! I guess thats why all the vacuum plumbing and delay valve notes.
Later in the 80's the computer ECM probally solved the advance problems with emissions problems.
My '79 360 pinged bad if I had it set to the emission sticker of 8-10 degrees.
The engine was most happy at 4 degrees BTC.
But I had to reset it the the spec every two years for the smog inspection.

Timing isn't something they check in emissions here -- once again this is a money maker for the state of Colorado and has little to do with making the air cleaner (unless your vehicle is really smoking or polluting). Especially in Northern Colorado where it's much more sparsely populated compared to the Denver metro area.

palomino wrote:
whoooa....
that is a federal emission 318 4bbl.....with a dual snorkle air cleaner too per the emissions decal.... WOW, nevder heard of that setup on a 318 before...
wonder if the person you bought it from might have the air cleaner, or know if the previos owner does.....or even the rest of the stuff for the emissions.....
that may be tough to find stuff...low alt stuff may be hard to find in your area...

So now I'm confused as the under hood sticker said something about California Emissions? I can ask the kid I got it from if he has any original parts, although it's doubtful.

8th line down in the first column? :?:

palomino wrote:
thinking about it, I have a carb off of a 81 d350 crew cab that had a 360 4bbl in it. I think it would be close to what you should of had....this was an Oregon DOT truck..... I know it will need a kit for sure, but was renning before the truck got parked a couple of years back....I also have the air cleaner too, but it is way different than what your decal says it needs....

What carb should my truck originally had? I'm debating on going back to the yard after work to do some more scrounging. I think there was a dual snorkel air cleaner there on an '81 or '82 4bbl truck, not for certain though. Is it worth snagging? I haven't decided if I want to go completely back to stock or not -- as it seems like all of the emissions stuff really bogs things down -- and did it even do that much over a properly running engine with catalytic converters or was it just red tape for the Feds? Is it safe to assume this my truck probably had the mini-ox converter too?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm 

from what I saw on your decals, it is clearly a federal emissions truck..if it were my truck, I would go back as close as possible to the setup as possible, because it is a real truck IMO, and the stuff is only going to get harder to find....
resources are going to be the key there to locating the stuff for it...
Is there such a thing as a smog exempt vehicle there, or what year would do it? I wonder if an earlier macho would be exempt???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:09 pm 

maybe it was something like..... FED LESS CALIFORNA EMISSIONS SYSTEM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:25 pm 

palomino wrote:
from what I saw on your decals, it is clearly a federal emissions truck..if it were my truck, I would go back as close as possible to the setup as possible, because it is a real truck IMO, and the stuff is only going to get harder to find....
resources are going to be the key there to locating the stuff for it...
Is there such a thing as a smog exempt vehicle there, or what year would do it? I wonder if an earlier macho would be exempt???

Well...you had me thinking last night and I decided to head back to the yard after work today and picked up some emissions goodies before the old trucks get crushed. What's better than one 318 4bbl dual snorkel air cleaner? Two! One came off of an '82, the other off an '83. One of the two has an OSAC (Orifice Spark Advance Control) module on it (which came off the '82 but it is depicted on my '81's vacuum diagram). Also grabbed the dual charcoal canisters, vacuum amplifier & vacuum solenoid, vacuum lines for all of it. If anyone wants the other dual snorkel air cleaner -- let me know!

Then I got some more interior goodies -- the same truck I got the cashmere visors out of I snagged the glove box, ashtray face, and fuse box cover as they're all in better shape than mine. I also found some OE speakers grilles -- not perfect, but I didn't pay a dime for them. Lastly, I snagged a good cluster from an '82 so I have parts/and or can put my cluster back to stock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:28 pm 

palomino wrote:
maybe it was something like..... FED LESS CALIFORNA EMISSIONS SYSTEM

Hmm...was that a valid option on the stickers? Didn't think of that!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:33 pm 

those might be the right air cleaners, but I am thinking that they are different than that....spaced wider appart because of the RV2 a/c compressor...if that makes sense...also doesn't have the secondary flapper door diaphram on the primary snorkel either per the vacuum hose routing....
I have seen some stuff in the past where it has some goofy emissions on it, and have seen the FED LESS CALIF EMISSIONS before on like a 85 W350 with a 360 4bbl in it....like an old govt or forrest service rig...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm 

palomino wrote:
those might be the right air cleaners, but I am thinking that they are different than that....spaced wider appart because of the RV2 a/c compressor...if that makes sense...also doesn't have the secondary flapper door diaphram on the primary snorkel either per the vacuum hose routing....
I have seen some stuff in the past where it has some goofy emissions on it, and have seen the FED LESS CALIF EMISSIONS before on like a 85 W350 with a 360 4bbl in it....like an old govt or forrest service rig...

Well shoot! Good thing I didn't pay an arm and a leg for them. Are they worth anything then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 pm 

yeah, I see them for 50 bucks often on ebay...so yea.
The air cleaner that i have has the secondary flapper door wacuum pod on it, but it is just a single snorkel air cleaner....
that may be a tough one to find.....
I will look in my parts book and see what I can find.....there is also a place called "help smog" that might have it locally....but they are as high as Frank Mitchell would be.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next