It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1981 MACHO
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:53 pm 

LAST440 wrote:
Krylon satin black is pretty close

yup, that is the inexpensive way to do it, and it is very very close....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:51 pm 

I just figured powder coating would be more durable if it could be matched.

I'm not opposed to spraying it myself...and I'm not bad at getting an even finish...just not very good at getting it looking like a factory finish with shake and rattle cans. Tips?

I was figuring I'd soda blast the bumper to remove the paint/surface rust. Once I'm there I could either try to paint it myself, have it painted, or powder coated.

*edit*
Forgot to include an image -- it really is surface rust -- no major dings/dents/tweaks:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 pm 

Dropped the Macho off with the guys at the local shop I use for anything I am not able or don't want to do.

They're going to check the alignment (steering wheel is off a little when going straight), and look at my transmissions issues (new neutral safety switch; still no reverse lights and it starts in any gear), the linkage/bands adjusted, and while they're at it filter/gasket change (trans. was leaking enough to make the pan greasy). I have one of the fancy Mopar reusable gaskets -- so I'll finally put that $25 gem I've been saving to use! ;)

Right now I just want this thing so I can drive it with some peace of mind. Plus having another set of professional eyes on it can't hurt!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 am 

More work done is always good. That much closer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm 

Is the roll bar in your 81 the same as the other year Macho's ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm 

Excellent question -- doesn't seem like the parts book lists a roll bar for '81, however '78-'80 is the same and the PDF parts book I have for '82/'83 trucks also shows the same part number (4106 516 -- ROLL BAR PKG. -- 6 1/2 Ft. Box).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 pm 

Ryan is a happy man! Just picked up the Macho and it now has a functioning neutral safety switch (and of course reverse lights), fresh fluid/filter/pan gasket, a fresh alignment (needed no parts and wasn't that far off), and, the best part of all, working air conditioning!!

I'm floored that the '81 components were all intact and functional after all these years (they did convert it to R134a) and can't say how cool it feels to drive a 32 year old truck with AC! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 pm 

In case anyone is interested, this is the elusive front muffler bracket I was after...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 pm 

Uh

that IS COOL!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:51 am 

Well...it's been MONTHS! But that bracket although looking correct, wasn't. It's either a 2WD or /6 bracket and wasn't long enough to reach where it should have to hold up the muffler. :roll:

Not much to report -- after I had the alignment done the truck starting have a really bad power drain leaving the battery nearly dead after 24 hours. It turns out when they took the wheel off to straighten it out they disintegrated the foam in the horn pad to where the horn was "on" all the time (horn has been disconnected since I got it). When messing around I felt the horn relay and it was HOT! Needless to say I pulled it and removed the horn pad! Glad I caught that shortly thereafter.

Since it's getting colder out I'm looking for indoor projects and at the present time I'm trying to come up with a way to fix the horn pad (haven't been able to track down another in over a year!). When I find a fix that works I'll post up what I did.

Other than that I pulled the Macho out of the garage yesterday and gave it a short ride since it's been sitting for a while. It should be nice this weekend so perhaps another ride or two.

I'm still hunting down parts -- looking for some low back buckets -- and a console. And the elusive AM/FM/Cassette deck. I keep coming up with a lead here or there for buckets and a stereo deck but they never pan out.

I was able to score a really nice set of mirror bases at the yard last weekend -- all of the sets I've acquired so far have been pitted/faded -- this set is neither. As with most of the parts specific to these older trucks...patience and persistence are key!

I really have to decide what I want to do come next spring -- paint on the Macho (doesn't cure the stripe predicament), paint the roof/hood/bumpers on the Canyon Sport, or paint on the crew cab. I really wish I had an "in" for body/paint work or just a rapport with someone local who does side jobs rather than having to bring them all into a shop. :roll:

Other than that it's living the life in a nice heated garage...I figured the rarest of my 3 trucks should get the spot in the garage...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next