It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1981 MACHO
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:54 am 

Thank you sir! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:12 am 

Well the dual exhaust is completely off the Macho -- manifolds are awaiting the new y-pipe to be bolted up. Does the front prop shaft have to be removed to fit it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06 pm 

probably not a bad idea for extra room...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 pm 

Was luckily able to get the y-pipe on without dropping the shaft, however the catalytic converter pipe doesn't seem to fit right. Has anyone ever used Goerlich/AP Exhaust parts before? I think the whole cat. pipe is the right length, but it seems like the cat is welded too far forwards on the pipe (hits the frame rail/transfer case and isn't below the heat shield). According to the catalog it is the right part...

Here are some other brands for comparison...

This is the Walker part and it looks even further forward the the AP/Goerlich:

Here's the Eastern Catalytic converter -- looks like it might fit properly.

Lastly here's the Bosal version -- also looks incorrect for a 4WD:

So with all of the above, do any look remotely close to the original cat pipe?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:13 pm 

so why not go to an exhaust shop and have them make the pipe???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 pm 

Because I already bought one? But I guess if it comes to that I'll have it done. I'd just like to have everything that I paid to be a factory fit be just that.

I finally heard back from the manufacturer -- I had to give them a bunch of info about the truck and some stamped production numbers off of all the parts so we'll see what they come up with as everything sounds like it should fit properly. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

Still working with AP Exhaust on getting the right cat for the Macho -- turns out their catalog is wrong -- they showed the same cat for 2wd/4wd trucks through '84 (in the '84 and earlier catalog) -- and they said that the part is indeed for a 2WD, however they do show different cats for 4WD trucks for '85 through '91 -- so I'm hoping they'll swap me for a proper cat due to the mix up in their catalog.

Anyhow, was at the yard today (surprise surprise) and picked up another Chronometer -- this one out of an '82 Ramcharger Royal SE -- so I have all the necessary bits to mount one now! As you can see there is a small harness which plugs into the main harness which is needed -- who knew!

The Ramcharger (albeit having a red interior) also had a driver side "Dodge Ram" mat in tan (which I think will look great in the Macho once cleaned up)...does anyone have a passenger side one? I also have a passenger side in dark gray or black -- but no matching driver side if anyone has one of those too...

Lastly, the RC had a pretty nice grill (if you remember mine has snaps screwed into the grille surround for a winter cover). The insert is nearly perfect too (and the "chrome" paint still shines)!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:44 pm 

Good Stuff !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 pm 

Well the exhaust is installed (had a beautiful 60+ degree here yesterday) -- now all I need is to have a muffler shop weld in a cat before I have the emissions test done. Sadly AP Exhaust was literally useless in coming up with the correct cat -- their solution was to cobble some pipe with a universal cat together (idea of their engineers after they confirmed the pipe I ordered (based on info in their catalog) was indeed a 2WD part). Their catalog for '85+ vehicles showed that there are two 4WD cats (for 318 and 360 engined trucks), however no suppliers seemed to have them and when I asked if they'd swap me all communications ceased.

My solution was to get a cat-delete pipe from Walker (AP didn't have one) to get exhaust together then have the exhaust shop install a cat where it needs to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 pm 

Got a good, used filler neck installed tonight (someone had punched out the original) -- since they do test the gas cap (just purchased a brand new one) they'd obviously see the copper flap was missing. :roll:

Also took the Macho for a ride tonight and maybe it's my imagination, but it seems a little peppier with a more stock setup over the glass packs. Either way it's definitely quieter but still sounds good.

It goes in tomorrow to have a cat fitted -- then off to emissions Thursday after work. All going well off to get plates Friday!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next