It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1981 MACHO
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:29 pm 

Looking good there!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:59 am 

Thanks!

These are the only low back buckets I've come across here in Colorado -- I'm assuming they'll be suitable for being reupholstered to the proper vinyl/stitching that the Macho would have originally come with? It looks like, at least from what I can gather in the '78-'81 parts book that the standard low backs are the same between the vans and trucks (part number wise). Although part number did change for '79/'80 to '81. :roll:

So I looked in the '78-'81 and '82/'83 parts books and low and behold they depict a different passenger side pedestal for regular cab trucks!

I know it will be a while before I happen to stumble upon one, so are there any words of wisdom to modifying a driver side pedestal to work or should I just wait?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:25 am 

I would get another drivers side pedastal and knock out the studs on it. Then bolt it up....simple as that... :D

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:28 pm 

Had it only been as simple as knocking the the studs out. The pedestal I had seemed to have them welded in; they were a pain to get out. I ended up drilling out the center of the studs then the threaded portion fell out. I then enlarged the holes so I could put new bolts through. Of course I wasn't thinking (working in the 2nd day of 90+ degree heat today) and then had to drill another hole as the inner/rear hole didn't line up. :roll:

Either way the low backs are bolted in and solid as is the spice console. The truck must have been built on a Monday or Friday -- the two passenger side holes for the console line up perfectly, the left two are at funky angles. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:58 pm 

So I didn't know (or maybe did and forgot :lol:) that the center caps are different for the front wheels than simply the rears with the cap removed. I've accumulated a lot of caps but only two were fronts for a 4x (and they weren't the prettiest in the group, as a matter of fact they must have come off something with axle seals as they were pretty grimy.

Front on the left (pre-scrubbing), rear with missing cap on the right:

This is the first time I've had the wheels off that I can remember, but here is the inside of the front left:

And right...

I put the better looking of the two on the driver side:

The the slightly rougher cap on the passenger side:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 pm 

They have become super hard to find in any condition.
I have made fronts (4x4) out of the reg ones
not complicated but very tedious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 pm 

I do have 4 nice rears and my next thought was to modify them when the time comes.

Goals for this fall/winter are to hopefully get the buckets recovered, front bumper powder coated satin black, and a spare set of wheels powder coated as well (will pop one of the tires off the original wheels to get as close of a match as possible).

I'm redoing the floors in the house so the Macho is out in the driveway while the garage is temporarily setup with the saws and such. Since it's out it's easier to work on so that's why I decided to throw the caps on today. The wheels definitely don't look as naked anymore! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:35 pm 

I put some of the decent looking rears caps on today (and adjusted the rear brakes - parking brake actually works now! :D ). I have a few really nice looking rears but need the center caps put back in (glued perhaps?). I'll save those for when the wheels are refinished.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:20 pm 

LOOKS Great!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm 

Sat and read through all 22 pages today. All I can say is WOW! Beautiful truck! Great find and nice work!! Would love to find an 80's Power Ram in decent shape. Most trucks around here are rusted to Hades. Nice junkyards you got up there too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next