It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lil red Express bed floor dimensions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:00 pm 

my bed floor wood is missing, does anyone know the correct size, the width and thickness mostly, but if you have the correct length too, thanks luckly I have all the oem side wood for templates.

Post subject: Re: lil red Express bed floor dimensions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52 pm 

Are you going to do all your wood work yourself? I did it myself and purchased the 1"X 8" X 78" (milled it's really 3/4"x7 5/8"x 78") Red Oak at Home Depot. What is nice about HD is you can pick all the boards that are simi clear and ask them to cut them so the knots stay with them on the short pieces. Each board then needs to be routed on the top side on each edge about 3/4", 1/4" deep. To get a correct measurement of the length of plank on your truck, measure the inside bed at the fender from front panel to rear support member where the tailgate folds to.
It's a lot of work, but you can save about $200 over the kit you can buy at:

http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/page32.html

Photo is my '79 Warlock "Home Depot Red Oak Bed" with "The Dodge Connection" unpolished stainless steel hold down strips and carrage hold down bolts.

http://www.dodgeconnection.com/page/page/2821586.htm

Attachments:
'79 warlock2.5.jpg
'79 warlock2.5.jpg [ 27.54 KiB | Viewed 8485 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 pm 

yeah I have all the wood, it was Red Oak off my parents land, my father had one of his friends mill it and we have all the planks, and my grandfather is a contractor and has a full wood workshop so all of that is no problem, I just didn't know the size but 3/4"x7 5/8"x 78 worked on your truck???, I just didn't know the correct size. thanks for the help

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm 

I just remeasured an extra plank I had. Width is exactly 7.5", thickness is 1/32" over 3/4". For your bed length It could be fraction of an inch shorter or longer than 78".
Do the measurement like I said. Next to the inner fender wheel well area panel- tape from end of bed panel to back bed brace where the tailgate folds into and the wood would stop. The planks that go next to the inner fender panel have to be cut with a jig saw/ band saw. Put the plank under the bed side protuding out towards the tire from the inner wheel well plank hold down strip that is factory welded to the side panel. Scib around the inner wheel well for the cut you have to make. It's best to put all the planks in the bed to get the right size cut on the side panel planks. Remember to leave about 1/4" to 3/8" gap between each plank for the proper bolt/hold down strip clearance. The router top cut on the planks edges can be increased or decreased for the proper fit of the width of the bed when all the planks are set in the bed. This is where you would take that measurement.
Attachment:
77 warlock bed wood.jpg
77 warlock bed wood.jpg [ 72.91 KiB | Viewed 8477 times ]

Attachment:
78 dodge bed wood missing2.jpg
78 dodge bed wood missing2.jpg [ 17.25 KiB | Viewed 8477 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 pm 

thanks for the info, I'll have to start on it now. :D :D