It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New here, 79 Warlock II restore
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:16 pm 

Well I'm new here and I have my Dad's old 79 Warlock II 4x4 that I've let sit long enough. My Dad died when I was 11 in 1987 and his Warlock was down since 1986 with a bad front axle. He was in the middle starting his own Logging company and didn't have the funds to fix his Warlock. When I was 17 I swaped a good axle under it and started to try and get it going again. I had funding and motivation issues due being in High School and working. This is where I needed a good kick in the butt, after high school I stopped working on it. So the Warlock has been at mom's since, it's gotten moved around the yard but never under it's on power. I joined the Marine Corps in 1998 and haven't had the time or room to work on the Warlcok since. I'm still in the Marines and I'm going to start working on the Warlock again, only this time I'm not going to stop. The Warlock is bad shape right now, there is lots of rust. I haven't actual looked it over in a couple of years, someone kick me. I'm in Iraq right now so I can't start on it right now but I've been researching other restore projects and looking for parts. To tell you the truth I didn't relize that the Warlock was as rare as they are, so I always looked at it like another old Dodge Powerwagon, swift kick please. This is the only picture I have that you can somewhat see the condition of the Warlock and it's just in the back ground of a pic of my Daughter and germen shepherd. I also have a picture of the Warlock in action from 1985. I look forward to getting all the motivation I need to complete this restore from you guys, feel free to name call and come over to give that swift kick in the butt for allow this to happen.

That's Emily and Sasha with the poor Warlock behind them.
I have done some Craigslist searches and I have found a few good parts trucks but I can't do anything untill I got back from Iraq. I also want to get the Warlock and look over the rust to see what I have to work with. Right now I may be getting a 76 2wd Dodge reg. short bed that was running when parked in 98. It's not running now but the guy says there is hardly any rust on it, but for $450 I think it'd be a good parts truck. I've also found a 78 2wd stepside that runs for around $1k but I'm not sure of the body condition.

This was taken in 1985 at a 4wd ralley with Mud Bogs, Sand Drags, and O-Course. The O-Course had serval small 4' hills and this was the last one right before the finish line. He hammered down and launched off of it and got major air for a old school lifted leaf sprung truck. There is a whole string of pics of this jump from the launch to the landing, but those pics weren't scaned so I can't show them. When he landed the Dana44 snaped at the pumpkin and the tires (36" RVT) pushed up into the fenders. There was allot of damage to the Warlock that day and my dad was really pissed, he actual won the event but was too conerned with his truck he didn't claim it. My uncle told my that the orignal 360 that came in the Warlock is in his barn, I don't know what happened to it but my dad put in a 318. Now the truck has sat up so long the floor pans, cab corners, and bed are rusted very bad. There is still mud on the door panels from the last time the Warlock was running. My cousin was in High School and had a 76 Bronco, well he got it stuck. He gets my dad to go pull him out and after my dad pulls his Bronco out the hole, he tells my cousin that he's going to show him how it's done. So my dad hits the hole and when climbing out the hole something broken in the front axle. My dad was working on getting it fixxed when he past away.

Post subject: Re: New here, 79 Warlock II restore
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:28 pm 

That's just such an amazing picture.
Looks like the landing is going to be a bounce.

Trucks are a lot easier to restore than cars,
but getting good deals on parts can take some
time. A parts truck may be a good investment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 pm 

I have pics of the landing but they back home and need to scaned. There wasn't a bounce, the axle snapped in half and the trires shoved into the fenders. It's got a axle from a 77 King Cab powerwagon that may have been a 3/4 ton, I know the new axle has lock outs.

I'm going to take my time with this and I'm not going show quality but I still want it look nice. I also want to take care of the rust the best why I can. If the cab is really bad I'll just replace the cab. I know the bed is rough shape and I've found a couple of 2wd stepsides for parts, I just can't wheel and deal until I'm back in the states.

When I get home I'll take pictures of it's current condition and as I work on it. I'm not going to be able to get started soon but I'll do what I can. I'm also going to try and get it moved from my Mom's and into a barn to get out of the weather. Something that I should have done years ago.

Steven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:34 pm 

Hi Steven! Y'all wouldn't by chance have a spare M880 around over there would you? ;) I know they've replaced them with the Hummers but had to ask... Those are nice pictures. Your daughter is very cute and the Shepard is nice looking too! I agree. That's an amazing picture! Good luck with your project. Sounds like you've got the fever to really get on it and do it right. Keep us informed when you get a chance to work on it. In the meantime, stay with us and let's talk Dodge trucks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 am 

I haven't seen any M880's since I've been in. The only 1ton Diesel truck I've seen on base both here in Iraq and back in the states is the old Chevy CUCV and some F350's. There was a really cool 89 Dodge Aircraft Tug that the I got to use at Holloman AFB, NM.

Dapper Dan, Where are you from in South Carolina? I'm from Andrews and I'm stationed at MCAS Beaufort. Over the years my mom has serval people stop by to try and rescue the Warlock but she would tell them that it was up to me.

Thanks for the welcome and I plan on keeping this ball rolling till it's on the road again. My wife understand what this means to me and isn't asking the normal questions like, "How much will this cost?".

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:52 am 

Nice truck! I'm in upstate South Carolina... about four hours from Beaufort. I did live on Hilton Head back in the late 70s. Very close by boat. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:35 pm 

The good old days Image

no helmet foot to the floor, BIG AIR!

i am surprised that they let people run with out a helmet.
great picture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 am 

That is a great pic and really makes me want to go jump something in mine...lol ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 am 

LDB wrote:
That is a great pic and really makes me want to go jump something in mine...lol ;)

I wish I had the rest of them scanned, if you saw them you'd take twice before jumping yours. You would have thought the Warlock had long travel IFS from the landing. Some beefing up of the front axle would fix this, gussets along the axle tubes.

When I get back I'll try and get the rest of the pics from the jump and some other old ones scanned. Just a few more weeks and I'll be back home, can't wait.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm 

Nice truck, looks like a good candidate for restoration, especially since it was your dads.