It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soon to (finally) be a Macho owner!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:18 am 

Nice to find the equipment tags still pasted under the hood!!
I would like to see your engine compartment photos. I have only seen two '80-'81 318 4V with the stock Thermoquad (I have the complete intake system & TQ off one of them that's extra in my parts bin). The other truck is in a storage yard, it's complete, it was a special order truck. The mid '80 Dodge Trucks came with quadrojet four barrels (if ordered for 4V, most were 2Vs). I think I can get photos of the 4v 318 1980 with all the emissions intact if you need them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am 

I have an 81 big horn d150 with the 318 4bbl engine with the correct stuff still on it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:02 pm 

macho78 wrote:
All I can say is WOW, nice score on a really rare truck. Very very cool!!!

Thank you sir...the more I poke around the more amazed I am at how clean this truck really is...none of my trucks have been this nice...not even my two '93s!

macho4x4warlock wrote:
Nice to find the equipment tags still pasted under the hood!!
I would like to see your engine compartment photos. I have only seen two '80-'81 318 4V with the stock Thermoquad (I have the complete intake system & TQ off one of them that's extra in my parts bin). The other truck is in a storage yard, it's complete, it was a special order truck. The mid '80 Dodge Trucks came with quadrojet four barrels (if ordered for 4V, most were 2Vs). I think I can get photos of the 4v 318 1980 with all the emissions intact if you need them.

The engine was replaced in '06 with a brand new 318...which is anything but stock. When the engine was installed they put a different cam in it, Edelbrock intake/4bbl carb (Weber), Mopar Performance valve covers/air cleaner, etc, etc. The engine bay doesn't appear to have any major emissions components left (no air pump, charcoal canisters, cat, etc). I honestly don't know if Colorado emissions will require all original smog equipment reinstalled or as long as it passes they're okay. ('81 and older emissions are pretty vague).

palomino wrote:
I have an 81 big horn d150 with the 318 4bbl engine with the correct stuff still on it.

Any chance we could get a picture or two? Might help if I need to put emissions equipment back to stock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:39 pm 

Well I think the drain is gone as it started right up like a champ after getting home from work this evening (sitting since last night)! Now I just have to drain the last third of a tank of old gas out of it... :roll:

Anyhow, once I get it out of the garage, I'll take some better pictures, but here's a quick shot of the engine...

The engine block/oil pan/etc still have shiny paint on them, new hardware, etc. Even the radiator is a new unit with a 2006 date on it!

I love this steering wheel...not quite as cool as the tuff wheel, but definitely macho!

Lastly, after taking the cover on the seat back off I was expecting to be disappointed...but ended up being just the opposite!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm 

I've got that same wheel in my macho trailduster. They are kind of neat.

Attachments:
DSCN4031.JPG
DSCN4031.JPG [ 137.22 KiB | Viewed 3051 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm 

I have got some engine pictures on my other computer, and will dig them up. looks like a seat out of a 86, and not stock to your truck...but still nice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:25 pm 

macho78 wrote:
I've got that same wheel in my macho trailduster. They are kind of neat.

Looks good in your Macho TD too!

palomino wrote:
I have got some engine pictures on my other computer, and will dig them up. looks like a seat out of a 86, and not stock to your truck...but still nice!

Hmmm I really wish I knew what seat was original to the truck then. I suppose I could at least look for extra holes in the cab floor to see if it had buckets. Several months back at the yard I frequent there was (IIRC) an '83 or '84 regular cab with tan buckets and console...had I only known! Doh!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 pm 

That streering wheel first came out in late model run of '79 for the Lil Red Express trucks, Warlocks & Machos. The story goes the supply of the "Tuff" wheel was exhaused by mid '79 and the new design wheel was installed in it's place for those trucks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:22 pm 

Nothing new nor exciting, I did drain a lot of gas out...topped it off to the brim with fresh gas, fuel system cleaner, and octane booster. Its seems to be running a little smoother now. I'll have to pull the plugs and see what they look like though.

I also reinserted the fuse for the interior lamps (which the current radio is also getting its power from) and there is no noticeable battery drain either!

Every time I open the door to my garage I can't help but smile...finally have a Macho...and one that I can't believe I found...never mind now own! Without the knowledge on this forum I'd never have known the tell-tale signs from the two original photos!

macho4x4warlock wrote:
That streering wheel first came out in late model run of '79 for the Lil Red Express trucks, Warlocks & Machos. The story goes the supply of the "Tuff" wheel was exhaused by mid '79 and the new design wheel was installed in it's place for those trucks.

It looks like '81 was the last year for that wheel in the trucks as it's not even depicted in the '82/'83 diagrams. Either way

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 pm 

I believe that the styled wheel like that was done in 81, but I have seen several in 82's in the yards...by 83 they had a different looking sport wheel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next